Monday 23 November 2015

Brotherly love

When I was fourteen Mam took me for food,
I could sense something was different, a change in her mood.
As the chip missed my mouth and fell down from my fork,
She casually told me she'd been visited by the stork. 
At first it was gross, I mean she was like a hundred and one,
With me as her child, I thought she was done.
You looked like a bean on your sonogram pic, 
A weird little monster who started to kick.
I used to call you bro-sis before I knew who you were,
I ignored your existence until they said you were here. 
With curly dark hair and big sparkling eyes,
The love you made me feel took me by surprise. 
In the area we lived people thought you were mine,
A promiscuous teenager drunk on cheap wine. 
I watched you grow and develop and age,
I gulped the first time you wrote your name on the page.
I knew you were special and you've proven me right,
You're kind and funny and incredibly bright. 
I could not be prouder to call you my brother,
So many things you have helped me discover.
I know I might not see you every day, 
When I went off to uni I moved far away.
But I am always behind you in whatever you do,
When we put mother in a home it'll be just us two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment